Bank Islam Card (“BIC”) is the first purely Shariah contract based credit card to be offered to Muslims and non-Muslims in Malaysia. This card is completely free from any riba or gharar.
Riba is usually translated as “interest” which means an extra amount charged in transactions dealing with silver, gold or money. Gharar is defined as uncertainty or ambiguity. Be assured that neither riba nor gharar is attributable to the Bank Islam Card-i. The Shariah concept that is being used in the operations of BIC is Tawarruq.
Tawarruq means the purchase of commodity on differed payment basis by way of either direct sales or cost plus sales. The commodity is then sold for cash to a party other than the original seller.
Discussion among the majority of classical Muslim scholars on tawarruq was done simultaneously with bai’ al-‘inah. In fact, they do not differentiate the discussion on tawarruq and bai’ ‘inah; except the scholars of Hanbalis who have distinguished it.
Generally, tawarruq and bai’ ‘inah are similar in terms of its objective to obtain cash through the selling and buying transactions, but they are different in two aspects. Firstly, bai’ ‘inah does not involve third party as purchaser of the object of sale (asset/commodity), while tawarruq involves third party. Secondly, the sales object in bai’ ‘inah is returned back to the original owner, whereas in tawarruq, there is no such condition.
Bank Islam Card-i Compelling Reasons
- Annual fee waiver (subject to a minimum of 12 transactions in a year)
- No compounding finance charges
- 20-day finance charge-free period
- Free Takaful coverage on outstanding balance
- Low cash withdrawal fee
- 40% discount on will writing fee
- Fully Syariah-based
- Instalment Payment Plan
- Retail Spread ValuePlan
- TruRewards Loyalty Program
Bank Islam Card-i Milestones
- International Recognition from Cards and Electronic Payment International for Best Debit Card Offering (2015)
- Winner of Visa Malaysia Bank Awards 2015 for:
- Highest Payment Volume Growth – Bank Islam Team Harimau
- Largest Payment Volume for Islamic Debit Card
- Highest Payment Volume Growth – Consumer Debit
- NO 1 VISA Islamic Debit Card for Highest Purchase Volume in Malaysia (2014)
- The Best Debit Card Launch by VISA (2012)
- The Biggest Debit Card Islamic Payment Volume by VISA (2012)
- The Highest Merchant Sales Growth Award by VISA (by percentage) (2011)
- Bank Islam Alumni-UiTM Platinum MasterCard Card-i (2010)
- The First Islamic World MasterCard Card-i issuer (2009)
- The Highest Sales Volume Growth Visa Credit Award (2009)
- The Platinum Award for Best E-Commerce Related Initiative under MasterCard Asia/Pacific Marketing Leadership Award (2006)
- The First Islamic Platinum MasterCard issued in Southeast Asia (2006)
- The First Card Issuer & Acquirer in Southeast Asia to implement MasterCard SecureCode (2005)
- The First Islamic Visa SmartChip Credit Card-i in Asia Pacific (2003)
- The First Card issuer to implement the Global Clearing Management System (2002)
- The First Card that is EMV 2000 compliant by MasterCard International (2002)
Bank Islam Card Centre (“BICC”) is proud to introduce multiple repayment channels and various types of services to its Cardmembers. Cardmembers can now make payment via:
- Auto-Debit from Bank Islam savings / current account
- Internet Banking Facilities via our website
- Payment via TAP Mobile Banking-i
- Cash Deposit Machine at Bank Islam branches nationwide
- Mail your cheque to Bank Islam Card Centre
- Cash or cheque deposit at Bank Islam branches
- Interbank GIRO facilities through other banks’ deposits accounts
Cardmembers can now enjoy tranquility and peace of mind with the FREE group Family Takaful Coverage Plan and Benevolence. This coverage guarantees settlement of outstanding debts and also relieves your next of kin from any financial burden. In addition, Bank Islam card-i offers you the advantages, benefits as well as competitive charges as compared to other conventional credit cards.