ASIK GELUGOR, PENANG, Sunday [20 January 2008]: Bank Islam Malaysia Berhad (“Bank Islam”) announced today it is adopting 13 schools nationwide for three years under the PINTAR Programme initiated by Khazanah Nasional Berhad.
The Bank expects to spend more than RM1 million for various activities to promote and achieve the objectives under PINTAR. These are to promote intelligence, nurture talent and advocate responsibility; and ultimately help improve the educational achievements of the children from low income families.
Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Agro-based Industries, Dato’ Seri Haji Mohd Shariff Haji Omar, officiated the launch of the programme, held at Sekolah Kebangsaan, Permatang Buloh, Tasik Gelugor. Dato’ Seri Mohd Shariff is also the Member of Parliament for Tasik Gelugor.
Bank Islam’s General Manager for Corporate Affairs and Business Development, Dato’ Wan Ismail Wan Yusoh, said at the launch, that the Bank has identified and is adopting 13 primary schools – one from each state, for three years. The programme is expected to impact 8,500 school children from standard one to standard 6.
To help achieve the objectives as envisioned by PINTAR, the Bank implements eight types of activities under the programme. These are:
1. Zakat contribution to needy students to uplift their social economic status;
2. Contributions in kind – such as upgrading surau or Islamic education room to provide conducive environment in acquiring Islamic knowledge
3. Excellent Student Awards (cash rewards) to motivate and reward students who excel in the UPSR and standard one to six exams
4. A series of academic activities for core subjects such as Maths and English to help improve level of achievements in these subjects
5. UPSR enhancement programme involving tuition, motivation workshops and mentoring to help students achieve better grades
6. Awareness Campaign – collaborate with the police, fire department, Ministries of Health, etc..to raise awareness on health and safety
7. Outdoor activities – such as summer camps, voluntary work and team building sessions to help develop soft skills and inculcate the caring culture
8. Islamic activity – organize religious lectures, tazkirah and others
Dato’ Wan Ismail said to ensure the programme’s successful implementation the Bank has assigned one management member to be the Bank’s Ambassador and mentor to the adopted school.
The Pintar programme will be an additional platform for Bank Islam to enhance students’ awareness and knowledge of Islamic banking, he added.
It is also in line with Bank Islam’s CSR activities which focus primarily on promoting Islamic finance and fostering its development through awareness and knowledge-sharing programmes, improving the socio-economic position of the underprivileged through distribution of Zakat allocations and enhancing relationships with key stakeholders, in particular, employees and institutional customers.
The PINTAR programme is one of the initiatives for Government-linked Companies to achieve value through social responsibility; to help improve the educational achievement of children from low-income families across.
The schools adopted by Bank Islam are:
|1||Penang||SK Permatang Buloh, Kepala Batas||Permatang Buloh,13220 Kepala Batas, Pulau Pinang.|
|2||Kedah / Perlis||SK Hj Hassan Itam||Simpang Empat, 06650 Alor Star|
|3||Perak||SK .Jalan Panglima Bukit Gantang Wahab, Ipoh||Jalan Panglima Bukit Gantang Wahab, 30000 Ipoh, Perak|
|4||Kelantan||SK Seri Aman, Pasir Puteh||Jln Jerteh 16800 Pasir Puteh|
|5||Terengganu||SK Beladau Kolam||W/P Manir 21200 Kuala Terengganu|
|6||Pahang||SK Sungai Karang, Kuantan||Jln Kuantan-Kemaman 26100, Kuantan|
|7||Johor||SK Tmn Cendana, P. Gudang||Jln Persiaran Cendana 81700 Pasir Gudang, Johor|
|8||Melaka||SK Cheng, Bdr Melaka||KM 9, Jln Tampoi 75250 Melaka|
|9||N.Sembilan||SK King George V, Seremban||KM 4, Jln Kuala Pilah, Ampangan 70400 Seremban, N. Sembilan|
|10||Kuala Lumpur||Sek Keb Putrajaya Presint 16(2), Putrajaya||Jln P16, Presint 16, 62150 Putrajaya|
|11||Selangor||SK Kantan Permai, Kajang||Persiaran TKP, Tmn Kantan Permai 43000 Kajang, Selangor|
|12||Sabah||SK Sembulan, Kota Kinabalu||Peti Surat 140, 89458 Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah|
|13||Sarawak||SK Matang Jaya, Kuching||KM 6, Jln Matang, Kuching|